Sunday, August 27, 2006

polite conversations

Some people I can't feel comfortable with. Lots of people, really; but essentially belonging to a few broad stereotypes. It's been a while since I used that word, incidentally.
I can't be comfortable with people around whom I have to keep a close watch over the things I say - either because they will misunderstand, or malign, or mistake. I hate having to stop before I speak and think before I leap and unmix my metaphors before they fly. And this is why I like people who make things easy. So many things in life are hard already, why make human interaction one of them? Why despise what is easily got? Why believe only in the hard-won? Certainly there is something grander about things you have worked hard to get, but shouldn't you appreciate the things you get easily just as much? Who knows?
Probably I won't. It was just a passing thought, anyway.

No comments: